If your child is eligible for the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance you could exchange all or part of their DLA to lease a car through Motability.
This is a national charity, set up on the initiative of the Government to assist disabled people with their mobility.
There is a wide range of cars available, some of which can be wheelchair adapted.
Up to three people can be named drivers.
How it works:
- You go to a motability-registered dealer (most of the major car companies are registered).
- You choose a car.
- You pay a non-returnable deposit for newer and more expensive models.
- Part or all of your child’s DLA is used as the lease or payment for your vehicle.
- If you choose the lease you will be able to pick a brand new car and replace it every three years.
- The deal includes your insurance and insurance for another driver.
- Full breakdown recovery is included.
- If you need a car adapted, for example, for a wheelchair ramp, you can apply to Motability for a grant.
For more information on the Motability scheme visit www.motability.co.uk