You have told us how doctors can make you nervous and get to you – here are just a few of them.
The crucial thing about this list is to show you you are not alone. And hopefully, with the help of the next two sections, How to handle a doctor’s appointment and Appointment checklist: before you leave the consultation, you’ll be better equipped to deal with these types of situations if they arise.
Here’s what you didn’t like:
- Withholding information or giving information in a cold or tactless manner
- Raising his or her voice
- “Talking down” to you
- Using medical terms unfamiliar to you and not explaining them
- Holding discussions with you whilst standing in the doorway, signalling he or she is really too busy to give you the time you need
- Discussing serious or personal matters with you and your family or child in busy public places like waiting rooms
- Pressing you to make serious medical decisions without adequate knowledge or time to think about it
- Not making available paper and pens in the waiting and consultation rooms to enable you to organise your questions and take notes